On January 1st of this year, I published my annual 'Year In Preview' post where I made a number of predictions for what was the year ahead. Now that we're on the final day of 2017, I'm going to look through every prediction that I made to see where I went right.
And where I went wrong....
Kenny Omega will become IWGP Heavyweight Champion
- It didn't happen.
I'm going to hate writing the next sentence: the New England Patriots will win the Super Bowl
- This did happen. Unfortunately.
Twin Peaks' return to TV will be panned by the critics but the ratings will be huge
- I recall reading an article about the ratings being lower than expected. In my bubble, it was sort of received well.
The Rock will be inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame
- Didn't happen.
Liverpool will win the FA Cup
- It was Arsenal.
TNA Wrestling will finally cease to exist
- Well, well, well... I kind of have to give myself a partial pat on the back for this. TNA Wrestling was renamed in 2017 after it was taken over by Jeff Jarrett's Global Force Wrestling. However, things went awry shortly after that. Jarrett was let go and, as he owned the GFW trademark, it was back to TNA.
The Undertaker and John Cena will wrestle each other in the main event of WrestleMania 33
- This didn't happen. Maybe 2018??
Bill Goldberg will become either WWE World or Universal Champion by the end of SummerSlam 2017
- Goldberg won the Universal Championship in February.
Chuck Pagano will no longer be head coach of the Indianapolis Colts
- This was a bad guess. I was confident Pagano would be let go when he entered a meeting with Colts owner, Jim Irsay. Many football heads thought so as well. The meeting ended with... Pagano being given an extension.
January 3rd 2018 update: It wasn't a bad guess after all. Pagano was fired after Indianapolis' final game of the 2017 season. This was a few hours after the post was published.
Katsuyori Shibata will win the NJPW G1 Climax
- Shibata had what looks like a career-ending head injury in 2017. He wasn't even in the G1 tournament.
Chelsea will win the Premier League
- This was a correct call.
Cardiff City will be top of the league on Christmas Day
- I was close. They were 2nd!
Marvel's Agents of SHIELD will be cancelled
- The show was renewed.
Scottish wrestler, Grado, will be a contestant on I'm a Celebrity
- He wasn't. I thought the ITV Wrestling reboot would become a big thing in 2017. So far, nothing has happened since the pilot which aired a year ago today.
The Nintendo Switch will sellout on its first day
- Trust Nintendo to do EXACTLY what I knew the company would do. It did the old trick where there wasn't enough units for sale on the first day of release, so a lot of people were unable to buy a Nintendo Switch.
And the big one - my best friend and his wife are going to have their first child early in 2017. I have purposely not asked whether they know what gender it'll be. I'm going to predict... a girl.
I had a lot of duds mixed in with a few correct calls. There are a couple of predictions on this list that wouldn't surprise me if they came in in 2018. Don't forget to check back in tomorrow with my spoilers for 2018.