Going in, I had a feeling it could end up being one of the worst Star Wars movies, but I didn't end up hating on it at all.
It was a satisfactory conclusion to the Skywalker Saga.
Here are a few thoughts after watching it.
- I really did think Chewbacca had died when the First Order's ship that appeared to have taken him crashed after Rey was unable to save him. What kind of made the scene a bit silly, however, was - later on - Rey is able to sense that Chewie is alive and imprisoned on the star destroyer. How come she could tell he wasn't on the other vessel when she was trying to save it?
- Speaking of Rey, my guess was that she would end up being the daughter of Emperor Palpatine. Well - that was a close one as she was revealed as his granddaughter. I should have really thought that one through..
- It was great to see Billy Dee Williams back as Lando
- Leia's death was quite emotional considering the real-life death of Carrie Fisher
- They did an amazing job with the computer generated Carrie Fisher in this entire movie (she died after making Episode VIII, so all this was CGI unless there was deleted scenes from the previous movies that were used)
Now, after watching it, it's time to rank my favourite Star Wars movies starting with what I consider the worst right up to my favourite.
9. Episode II: Attack Of The Clones
8, Episode I: The Phantom Menace
7. Episode VIII: The Last Jedi
6. Episode VII: The Force Awakens
5. Episode IX: The Rise Of Skywalker
4. Episode III: Revenge Of The Sith
3. Episode VI: Return Of The Jedi
2. Episode IV: A New Hope
1. Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
I am sure I might have contradicted previous rankings of the movies, but this is how I feel as of today!